This summer was hot. It still is hot. Those things I already knew. That’s not news. But, there were quite a few things that I realized about myself and the world around me this summer that opened my eyes to some things.
1. NOTHING IS A SURE THING – I started this summer with a successful launch of Black Star Canyon season 2. It was great. I was on fire. I planned out my next few months of releases, had my films with an editor and things seemed to be coming up awesome.
Then, I got hit up about a TV show that I was pitching awhile ago that some people were interested in. So, I tinkered with the calendar and started shooting the pilot for the TV show. That put me behind my schedule a little.
Just like that, my solid plan of releases and such were changed. A lot of things were up in the air.
2. I CAN’T BE BOUGHT – This was a shocker to me too! After waiting on production for the TV show, meetings getting cancelled and rescheduled, we had a meeting about the show. I was offered something that didn’t sit right with me at all. I took the offer and then couldn’t sleep that night. I didn’t understand why.
It turns out that I do in fact have standards. Something that most people would never believe. I had to pull back and rethink the offer. So, after a lot of thought, I made a counter offer that fell on deaf ears sadly.
This really upset me and got me a little down for awhile. But, since then, I have been put in touch with people who can help me, not only make a better show, but can get it to better networks (I don’t mean better size wise, I mean better market wise). So, holding out and sticking to my guns did in fact work out pretty good for me. I am just bummed I have to start the whole process over again.
3. DON’T OVER PROMISE – By this time, I was supposed to have the next Shallow Giallo, Zombie Alpha, BLR, Slasherton and Black Market Blood Drive books out as well as the next 6 Creepology books and be starting the new series, Creepisodes. But, because of everything that happened with the show, a lot of this stuff got put on the back burner.
Normally that wouldn’t be a problem, expect that in the back matter of Black Star Canyon season 2, I already talked about all these things coming out. Plus, Brothers Cannibal and Finger Bang were supposed to be released on VOD.
So what that did was make me appear dishonest. I know it isn’t a huge deal to most people, but it’s a big deal to me. I hate having to go back on my word about stuff at all. I really would have rather not promised anything and then knocked all of your socks off when all these came out.
Basically, I am so sorry for not getting these titles out as quickly I should have. I will work hard this fall in hopes of getting all of those done and out before season 3 of Black Star Canyon this Christmas. That is the plan. Creepisodes and Creepology might have to wait until next year, but let’s see how I do.
4. IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO REINVENT YOURSELF – One of the weird things that happened this summer (besides everything else) was that a guy that used to work for me on my earlier films, who has now gone on to do much bigger projects, came to me about how I was doing. We talked for a some time and eventually started to not only discus working on a film soon, but what I really want to do.
One of the things that I am getting tired of, if I can be honest here, is being the guy that can make any film for any budget, no matter how low.
For years, I have been the guy that people go to, to kind of do the impossible. Which for years, has been really fun. The challenge to try to do this has been very rewarding. The problem is, is that I have basically done everything I could do in that world. I would love to be able to make films that are amazing because the story, acting, shots, effects, etc, are all perfect. Not just because I did a lot on a “no-budget” film.
So, all I’ll say about this now is that, it may not be tomorrow, but sometime soon, I will have made some pretty cool, bigger budget films and I am very excited to see where my film career goes from here.
I have reinvented myself to a certain extent many times over the last decade. I went from being a musician to being a writer to being a director of music videos to directing films to being an author. I know I can do it. I just have a very weird relationship with change.
I have really found what I want in life now and know what I have to do to get those things. It’s a really good feeling that I hope all of you have either already had or will have soon.
5. Spider’s Bite - For those of you who don’t know, I got bit by either a Black Widow or a Brown Recluse spider about three weeks ago. The bite didn’t hurt as much as the swelling, the tendons and ligaments stiffening and a wound that seemed to continue to decay did. My foot is on the mend now and apparently, spider bites aren’t anything to laugh at or take lightly.
At first I thought it was nothing, then it looked like someone had put a cigarette out on my foot. As time passed that cigarette burn looked liked a cigar burn. Now I have a “hole” in the top of my foot that is all wet and gooey. I know. That was gross. Sorry.
Anyhow, I have some films that are coming out soon and the next Slasherton book and the print version of Black Star Canyon Season 2, will be available soon.
I am almost done with Black Market Blood Drive and I have the next Shallow Giallo book all outlined. The next Zombie Alpha book is next on deck. Hopefully, for the fans of the band, there will be some new Creepersin tracks out there in time for our ten year anniversary this Halloween.
Other than that, I’ll under promise you later.
Be sure to pick up Zombie Alpha, Sack, Black Star Canyon S1E1, Blood Lust Romance and Free Kindle Books for FREE at amazon.com and other ebook retailers!